Owing to the project, the following works were done in the church :
- vertical and horizontal isolation of the church
- renovation of the elevation
- replacement of the woodwork
- renovation of interior walls
- maintenance of the interior: the lantern of the main dome and the coping of the presbytery
Before and afterPhotos show the monument before and after renovation. The slider allows to see the results of work
Present church of St Nicholas the Miracle Worker in Tomaszow Lubelski was built in the Byzantine-Russian style at the end of the XIX century, however, the first documented notices about the Orthodoxy in these regions mention the year 1531 (tax documents refer to the Orthodox parish church of St Archangel Michael located in the suburbs of Rogozno). It is also known that in the middle of the XVII century there were three churches in Tomaszow: of St George (located in Swietoruska and Starocerkiewna Street), of the Dormition of the Theotokos (situated at Przedmiescie Szczebrzeskie) and of St Nicholas the Bishop (located at Przedmiescie Lwowskie).
The church of St Nicholas the Miracle Worker was built by the priest Ivan Gurkowicz on the land received from John Ossolinski and Mathew Lesniewski. During the years from 1689 till 1789 the church was a parish church until its seizure by the Uniats. Then, the church of St Nicholas the Miracle Worker became a branch of the Uniate church of St George. In 1875, as a result of return Uniates to the bosom of the Orthodox Church, the parish in Tomaszow Lubelski returned to its home Orthodoxy. After 10 years, a project of a new, present church was designed. The construction of the church was financed with State funds and it was consecrated in 1890. The church served to almost 3 thousand faithful. The spiritual and parish life was developing quite dynamically as evidenced by the fellowship of St George which was active within the church at that time.
The I World War didn’t make any harm to the condition of the church from Tomaszow. Also, the interwar period turned out to be harmless for the church. In 1923, the church of St Nicholas the Miracle Worker in Tomaszow was one of 12 active Orthodox churches in the county. The II World War treated the church and the parish itself benignly, too, not causing considerable losses.
The post-war period turned out to be tragic in the history of the parish. Especially the “Wisla” action and the earlier mass resettlements of indigenous Orthodox on the lands on Soviet Ukraine in 1945 marked in the history of the parish dramatically. After the tragedy, pastoral activity in the church in Tomaszow was interrupted. Abandoned temple, was adapted into a storeroom, it was even a public chelet for a some time. Restoration of the temple to religious life took place only in 1957. Devastated church starts functioning again as a parish church.
The first significant renovation of the church took place in the years from 1983 to 1985. At the beginning of the XXI century the church in Tomaszow undergoes an overall restoration. The roof together with five domes was renovated, the renovation of the elevation plasters of the towers was made. The last investment project from 2014 till 2016 allowed to complete necessary renovation works. The church in Tomaszow was constructed in an eclectic style. It combines the elements of the late Classicism with the Byzantine-Russian style, developed by Konstantin Thon. The church is a cross-dome building based on a four-column structure. It is surmounted with five octagonal lanterns (with tent-like roofs) placed above the spaces between the arms of the cross and in its central part. The church has a three section structure: there is an altar closed by a semicircular apse at the end of the main nave, the vestibule was constructed on a rectangular plan. The iconostasis was made for the church in Tomaszow in the atelier of Kuzma Morozow – an artist from Moscow.